MyCareer in the Past
It starts with the default NBA 2K14 roster which was released from September 2013 to June 2014. A stable version of NBA 2K14 official rosters have always worked in MyCareer. In fact, even Med's NBA Rosters for the 2013-2014 NBA season had absolutely no crashing.
MyCareer in the Present
(Reports of MyCareer crashing in the 6th game for NBA 2K15 on PS3)
We are currently in the 2016-2017 NBA season, THREE seasons later after the original 2013-2014 NBA season and there have been reports of NBA 2K14 crashing in the 6th game of the NBA season. While we've tested the current version of Med's NBA Roster and established that it does work in MyCareer. We need to acknowledge that even OFFICIAL unmodified NBA 2K rosters for NBA 2K15, 2K16, etc. on PS3 have experienced crashing in the exact same situation. Reports of NBA 2K15 crashing have been posted on Reddit, 2K Support Forums, NLSC, etc. Some experience crashing with the current version of Med's NBA Roster, while some actually don't experience crashing. A lot of people comment on both sides (those that experience crashing and those that do not) so it is quite different for each situation.
MyCareer in the Future
NBA 2K15, 2K16, and 2K17 on PS3/XBox 360 have been experiencing crashing in MyCareer mode, specifically the same situation we have which is after the 6th game of the season. While the NBA 2K15, 2K16 and 2K17 on PS3/XBox 360 versions are obviously just based on the NBA 2K14 engine without being heavily updated by 2K Sports themselves, it may be a sign that NBA 2K14's engine was not meant to support MyCareer mode in future seasons, seeing as how even official console versions of the game experience the exact same crash that the modified PC versions do. It is worth noting that the future of NBA 2K14's MyCareer holds the same fate as it does now. The more we go, the more mods we add and implement, and the more we jeopardize the status of a stable, working MyCareer mode. If MyCareer is the sole reason for you to play NBA 2K14, your best bet is to play the last official NBA 2K14 roster that was released in June 2014 in order to be able to play multiple seasons with no crashes.
MyCareer's Issues, Possible Fixes
MyCareer's most common issue is being played with a heavily modified NBA 2K14 which has mods that were released untested. A lot of mods have been released over the years that legitimately cause crashing because they were released without being tested for all game modes by the developer. While we here test our rosters for MyCareer before we release to make sure that they are working, a heavily modified NBA 2K14 has a high chance of crashing if the mods installed were not tested properly. Here are some common tips on how to able to have a stable, working MyCareer. Please note that these tips are only recommended solutions and does not guarantee that it will fix MyCareer mode for you.
• Avoid using a modified scoreboard. A modified scoreboard has a high chance of crashing MyCareer mode after the games have been finished.
• Avoid using "HD" content. "HD" cyberfaces, jerseys, stadiums, dornas, globals, etc. that have been released untested can cause crashing after the 1st or 3rd quarter of MyCareer, Association, Season, Playoffs modes. Please read this blog post for more information.
• Avoid using heavily modified graphics mods. Heavily modified globals, title screens, and other graphics mods also have a chance of crashing MyCareer mode.
• Avoid using heavily modified tunedata. Heavily modified tunedata and other gameplay mods also have a chance of crashing MyCareer mode, usually before the start of the game.
• Do not save your MyCareer right away. When it asks you to create a save file for MyCareer mode, don't (Press "1" on your keyboard or "Circle" for PlayStation/"B" for XBox controllers). Save your MyCarer file later.
• Delete all MyCareer save files and create a completely new MyCareer save file. In most cases, if you want to start a new MyCareer mode, it has to be a new save file. It is recommended that you do not replace an existing save file and save a completely new MyCareer save file.
• Delete all other MyCareer save files, then duplicate and rename your existing MyCareer save file. Sometimes, you can proceed with your existing MyCareer save file if you copy and paste your existing save file then rename it to something else, preferably a short MyCareer file name such as MYCAREER1. • Perform a fresh install of NBA 2K14. If your NBA 2K14 is too heavily modified that you can no longer trace the cause of error for MyCareer mode and it is that important to you, it is recommended that you do a fresh install of NBA 2K14.
Oddly, MyCareer mode does not have any errors in FIBA 2K, PBA 2K, and Kuroko V Slam Dunk and Association mode does not have any errors in NBA 2K14. It should be acknowledged that even the unmodified console versions of NBA 2K's games have also had trouble in MyCareer mode in the past and until today. 2K Support has confirmed that a corrupted MyCareer file can no longer be restored and you have to start over. Sometimes, MyCareer works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes we know why it crashes while sometimes it's a complete mystery. My only recommendation is try to lower your expectations when playing MyCareer mode.